Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Adoption

"When you are growing up and you have an issue with your parents its easy to wonder or think that your biological parents might "understand" you better, its easy to feel disconnected. I know better now as an adult having seen my all the issues my friends have with their biological parents but its different at the time when you are young and looking for understanding of yourself."

This quote was in one of the comments on an adoption article I had been reading.  The article was talking about how black babies cost less than mixed or white babies.  I didn't like that, but I guess it's true.  If Matt and I ever adopted, I would not care what color skin our child had.  As for the quote above- I never felt like that.  The woman who wrote this is white and had white adoptive parents. I never saw myself different from my parents.  Even with my darker skin.  Dad from as young as I remember would put his arm next to me and say how we were alike.  I always loved that, and I saw Mom and Luke had similar coloring.  I always felt like I got my sensitivity from my mom, and my punctuality from my dad.  I didn't feel disconnected.  I definitely never thought my biological parents might understand me better.  I don't remember ever thinking about them.  The only time I thought of my bio mom was during pregnancy, and wondering if she had the same feelings I did.  I guess everyone has a different upbringing, I just wonder if it's usual for adopted kids to feel the way that original poster felt...


No comments:

Post a Comment